Monday, November 16, 2009

STUFFED SQUASH BLOSSOMS WITH POBLANO MASHED POTATOES and FRIED GREEN TOMATOES


Last Night I Made:
STUFFED SQUASH BLOSSOMS WITH POBLANO MASHED POTATOES and FRIED GREEN TOMATOES for Dinner.
I ended up plating the blossoms over leftover poblano mashed potatoes.

Yesterday my husband and I went to the Hollywood Farmers' Market for our very first time.
Let's just say I almost fainted, it was a cooks heaven-on-earth!!!
And I really can't believe that we live 20 minutes away and we've never been here!
The market is 5 blocks long and has everything from freshly picked produce to awesome vegan food vendors.

We bought:
-pencil thin ASPARAGUS
-LEEKS
-CABBAGE
-RED ONIONS
-BROWN ONIONS
-SUGAR SNAP PEAS
-RED OAK LETTUCE
-GREEN LEAF LETTUCE
-BABY CARROTS
-GREEN ONIONS
-RED BEETS
-CILANTRO
-FRESH THYME
-PEA SHOOTS
-POBLANO CHILIES
-SQUASH BLOSSOMS
-GREEN TOMATOES
-TURNIPS
-OLD TOWN BAKING CO. VEGETABLE MEDLEY SOURDOUGH BREAD
-SUGARCANE JUICE-FORTIFY DETOX ELIXER
Cleanses the liver and it tastes sweet,tangy,spicy and really YUMMY!!!
Made with cane juice,ginger,lime, and cayenne pepper.

We bought so much, guess I got too excited!
Two things did stand out to us, SQUASH BLOSSOMS and GREEN TOMATOES.
I'm always on the lookout for them at Whole Foods, but they never seem to have either one.

As soon as we got home I decided to make FRIED GREEN TOMATOES.
Then I came up with an awesome recipe using the blossoms and a few poblano chilies from the Farmers' Market poblano chilies and Trader Joe's Russet potatoes.

But I can't reveal either recipe.
Because, one day I'll have enough original recipes to publish my own cookbook!!!

My husband and I can't wait to go back next Sunday.
If you are ever in the Los Angeles area, you MUST make it a point to visit the HOLLYWOOD FARMERS' MARKET on Ivar and Sunset Blvd.
Open from 8am-1pm.

1 comment:

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I've never had squash blossoms, but they're so PRETTY! Awesome.