Tuesday, August 25, 2009

KYOHO GRAPES AND WAFFLES

My husband's boss gave us a bag full of these gigantic sweet grapes,which he grows in his back yard, called KYOHO grapes.
Originally from Japan, the name literally means "giant mountain grapes."
And they weren't kidding, they are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The skin is not traditionally eaten but really easy to peel off.
They also have giant seeds that can easily be spit out.
These are THE best grapes I've ever had in my life.
Super sweet and you fill up fast because of their size.
One grape is more than twice as big as my thumb nail.
(size comparison)


Today I Made:
EVERY DAY BUTTERMILK WAFFLES and KIWI for BREAKFAST.
Recipe from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman and Alan Witschonke.
I veganized it by replacing the buttermilk with a soymilk/apple cider vinegar mix, Egg Replacer for the eggs, and Earth Balance for the butter.
I also used all whole wheat flour instead of all purpose and I added chopped strawberries and drizzled them with maple syrup.
They turned out good but not great.
I found them to be a little too thick and dense for my taste.

No comments: