Tuesday, January 25, 2011

CREAMY TOMATO BARLEY RISOTTO AND BROCCOLI SPIGARELLO




Last Night I Made:
CREAMY TOMATO BARLEY RISOTTO and SPICY GARLIC BROCCOLI SPIGARELLO.
Risotto recipe from Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm.

A real comforting dish made with wholesome barley, tomatoes,miso paste,nutritional yeast, and spices.
It was a real cinch to make, no slaving away adding stock until creamy.
Just brown the barley with garlic and olive oil until it starts to sizzles.
Then add the rest of the ingredients, boil, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes or until creamy and no longer soupy.

The spigarello was a new HOLLYWOOD FARMER'S MARKET find.
I love going to the market's just so I can find new ingredients.
Spigarello is a cross between broccoli and kale.
Just cut off 1/2inch from the bottom and chop into smaller pieces and sauté with olive oil, red chili pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper.
It turned out amazing....nice and crunchy with a mild taste.
Both my husband and I loved it, but I told my husband not to fall in love with it, since it's seasonal and extremely hard to find.

Another new find, dandelion greens.
I plan on juicing them.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Spigarello? Cool! I wanna try it! Also, I used to buy dandelion greens for my turtle :)