Wednesday, July 21, 2010

QUICK RED POSOLE WITH BEANS AND VANILLA-COCONUT FLAN





Yesterday I Made:
QUICK RED POSOLE WITH BEANS and VANILLA-COCONUT FLAN for DINNER and DESSERT.

The "POSOLE" turned out to be more of a chili.
Filled with pinto beans,hominy,diced tomatoes,poblano chile,cumin and a few other spices.
Topped with shredded cabbage,thinly sliced red and white radishes,chopped tomatoes and lemon juice.
Husband wasn't too crazy about it and neither was I.
To much tomato, not enough hominy and broth.

On the other hand, the VANILLA-COCONUT FLAN was so good, I almost licked the caramel off the plate.
Made with coconut milk,soymilk,sugar, agar powder,cornstarch, vanilla and coconut extract.
The caramel sauce is nothing more than sugar and water poured into a pyrex measuring cup and microwaved until it reaches a dark amber color.
Then poured into small ramekins until cooled.
Then topped with flan mixture and refrigerated until firm.

*Option: Top flan with finely shredded unsweetened coconut.

2 comments:

Foodeater said...

I made the posole too and it came out a lot more soupy than yours looks, though I agree there was a bit too much tomato. Other than that though, I really enjoyed it and bought more ingredients to make it again (with less tomatoes). My friend I shared some with even said it was the tastiest soup he's had in his life. Hmmm!

I'm also looking forward to making the flan. I've gathered most all the ingredients though I can't seem to find anywhere locally that has coconut extract. I will keep looking though... yours looks splendid!

Yadi said...

@ foodeater- you can find coconut extract at walmart!