Monday, January 5, 2009

KABOCHA SOUP WITH SPICED PEPITAS

Today I Made:
KABOCHA SOUP WITH SPICED PEPITAS, SALAD, AND GARLIC BREAD for DINNER.
Soup recipe from VEGETARIAN TIMES JAN. 2009 issue.
Kabocha squash, onions, and smoked paprika are the star ingredients.
This was THE best pureed soup I have ever made.
I was a little hesitant since my husband doesn't really care for creamy, pureed soups.
But at his request, I did leave it a little bit chunky.
The original recipe called for 2 Tbs. dry sherry, but since we don't care for alcohol in anything, I used orange juice instead.

The soup is sprinkled with SPICED PEPITAS.
Small pumpkin seeds tossed together with olive oil, agave nectar, smoked paprika, salt, and then baked until puffed and slightly darkened.
They added such a great crunchy mouth feel.

As far as the salad goes, it's our usual recipe... spring mix, julliened carrots, thinly sliced red onions.
I also threw in some dried cherries, avocado, and leftover SPICED PEPITAS.
This time instead of making my own dressing (Asian Miracle Dressing), I used FOLLOW YOUR HEART SESAME MISO DRESSING.
First time trying this bottled dressing.
It's good for emergencies.

I decided to round out the meal with our new favorite: GARLIC BREAD.

This meal turned out to be so comforting, so colorful, and so mutritious,I didn't want it to end!

2 comments:

Gina said...

That soup sounds delicious!! I love pumpkin seeds on like...anything :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds really good, I saw the recipe but didn't know it if would be that good. Now I know =)