Wednesday, March 11, 2009

CARROT CAKE WITH TOFU CREAM CHEESE FROSTING


Today I Made:
CARROT CAKE WITH TOFU CREAM CHEESE FROSTING for BREAKFAST.

Today is my husband's birthday and I decided to make him cake for breakfast.
Who says you can't have birthday cake first thing in the morning?

I'm not a fan of carrot cake, but he is, and this recipe turned out great.
Spicy, sweet, moist, and full of color from the grated carrot, chopped fresh pineapple, raisins, and topped with chopped walnuts.

I made a slightly healthier version than the original recipe by using whole wheat versions of the flours.
And it's sweetened with maple sugar instead of refined sugar.

The recipe for the frosting was altered from the one in the book.
In the book, the directions call for silken tofu to be boiled for 5 minutes, then submerged in cold water, squeezed dry, and then blended up with Tofutti Cream Cheese, unrefined sugar, safflower oil, and vanilla extract.
Thanks to Green Earth Institute, I blended the cream cheese, sugar, safflower oil, and vanilla extract in my mixer until smooth and chill for 20 minutes.
No silken tofu required.

We both had one slice for breakfast along with our morning coffee.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY HUSBAND AND GRANDMA!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to Mr Tickles! And YUM! I LOVE carrot cake and that one looks amazing!!

(Happy Birthday to Grandma Tickles too of course!!)