Wednesday, May 19, 2010


Last week I Made:
PUPUSAS STUFFED WITH BLACK BEANS AND PLANTAINS for DINNER.
Pupusas are stuffed grilled tortillas from El Salvador.
Usually served with CURTIDO (marinated cole slaw).

Pupusas are really more like thick tortillas made out of Mexican-style masa harina.
All you do is mix the flour, water,and a small amount of salt until a pliable dough forms.
Shape into balls, make a well in the center of each, stuff with filling, close up the center and shape into thick patties.
Then grill until brown on both sides.

This version is stuffed with a spicy black bean mix and cooked diced plantain.
Served with the CURTIDO, guacamole, and a spicy tomato sauce (recipe also from Viva Vegan!).

This was my first time having pupusas and it certainly won't be my last.
We both loved them so much, I had to make more the next day!!!

2 comments:

two vegan boys said...

Yum. I need to get Terry's new book. The food looks amazing.

Erin said...

Looks so delicious!