Wednesday, July 29, 2009

BLACK BEAN CHILI WITH CHOCOLATE

Yesterday I Made:
BLACK BEAN CHILI WITH CHOCOLATE and GREEN ONION-JALAPENO CORNBREAD for DINNER.
Chili recipe from VegNews Magazine April 2008 issue.

This chili is so full of flavor and spice.
Black beans, carrots, onions, chili powder, cumin, chipotle pepper, canned crushed tomatoes, strong brewed coffee, and unsweetened chocolate..
The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons and 2 chipotle peppers.
I cut back to 2 tablespoons chili powder and 1 chili chipotle, and it was still a little too spicy.
We calmed the heat with some FYH Sour Cream.

The cornbread also has a little spice from the jalapeno seeds and veins.
But it turned out so moist and light.
It's more cake-like rather than a dense cornbread.
The original recipe called for buttermilk and eggs.
I used plain soymilk mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider and Egg Replacer for the eggs.

5 comments:

Sophia said...

That chili looks great, seems like a similar recipe to my chili which also has cocoa powder and chocolate in it!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

East Village Vegan said...

Mmmm.homemade chili. (I got the same transformer for my cousin's birthday...fun)

Millie said...

I don't like chili and I am extremely allergic to corn but it is a good post...it sure looks good. I mostly rely on black bean soup, its my chili fix...LOL. I loves the transformers they give a distinctive touch to every post. Great!!!

aTxVegn said...

I love chili, and I almost always add chocolate, but I've never added coffee before - sounds great!

Alisa@Foodista said...

I have to try that, adding chocolate to my chili sounds great! I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!