Thursday, July 9, 2009

EASY HOMESTYLE CHILAQUILES

Today I Made:
EASY HOMESTYLE CHILAQUILES for BREAKFAST.
Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish served for breakfast.
Tortillas are cut into quarters, fried, mixed with eggs, and then drenched with salsa.
Topped with Mexican cheese.

My mom taught me how to make a vegan version, which is easy to do just by omitting the eggs and cheese.

There are 3 ways of doing this:
1. Using chips from a bag.
2. Frying your own tortilla quarters.
3. Toasting the tortilla quarters in the oven.

This morning I chose to toast the tortilla quarters (obviously healthier). .

So here goes my mother's recipe:
Preheat oven to 350.
Stack 6 tortillas and cut into quarters.
Place in a bowl and drizzle some olive oil and mix.
Toast until lightly browned on one side, then turn and toast the other side.
And now you have homemade chips!

Heat skillet over medium heat and add tortilla chips.

Add 1 cup of salsa (homemade or store-bought) and toss until completely mixed.
If too dry add a few tablespoons of salsa or even water.
Just make sure not to add too much or else the chips will turn out soggy.
You want the final dish to be a mix of hard and soft chips.

I used my mom's homemade tomato-based salsa, medium-hot!
Let salsa heat thru.
Add diced red onions and chopped cilantro (which I forgot to add to ours).
Serve immediately with a side of pinto or black beans.

Our version proves that you don't need any of those animal ingredients, to make this tasty dish.

No comments: