Saturday, October 25, 2008

HOUSE POTATOES



Today I Made:
HOUSE POTATOES, TOFURKY BREAKFAST LINKS, PUMPKIN PANCAKES, AND COFFEE for BREAKFAST.
I tried to recreate the house potatoes served at HERBIVORE GRILL in SAN FRANCISCO.
I posted about this great vegan restaurant here.
They turned out exactly the same... delicious!!!

HOUSE POTATO recipe:
-Peel and wash potatoes.
-Boil them for about 15 minutes or until they are cooked but not falling apart.
You want them to keep their shape.
-Drain and let cool completely.
-Slice into thin slices, then cut each slice in half so you end up with half moon shapes.
-Heat a large skillet on meddium-high heat, then add Earth Balance and a small amount of     canola oil.
-When skillet is hot, but not smoking, add the potatoes and smash into a single layer.
Add salt and pepper to taste and cover for about 5 minutes, or until bottom layer turns lightly   brown.
-Turn potatoes and cover for another 5 minutes, or until lightly brown.
-Remove from skillet, sprinkle with cilantro or parsley and top with ketchup or salsa. 

Use any amount of potatoes, Earth Balance, salt and pepper.
It's all to taste.
The only thing that changes are the cooking times.

Serve with Tofurky Breakfast Links and Pumpkin pancakes for a complete breakfast.
This was our first time trying the links.
Actually, I dislike faux meats, so these were more for my husband.
He ended up not being to crazy about them.
He prefers the Tofurky Italian Sausages and Trader Joe's Soyrisso.

I don't remember where I found the recipe for the pancakes.
But when I do, I'll post the link.
Because, they are amazing.

4 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

GOD that looks soooo good. I'm gonna try those Potatoes for sure!
Thanks for the recipe.
:)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I think my eyes just popped out of my head! So much goodness in one plate, poor eyes never stood a chance! :)

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Looks delicious!

The Cooking Lady said...

We love breakfast here and we go through about 10 pounds of potatoes a week...I kid you not.

Ans what people do not realize about homefires...if you will, is that you let them get their game on. Meaning that you let them brown real good before you start flipping and turning them puppies.

They need that crust before you flip them. Did I mention we love potatoes?