Monday, June 15, 2009

KABOCHA SOUP WITH SPICED PEPITAS

I made this delicious KABOCHA SOUP WITH SPICED PEPITAS for DINNER last week.
Recipe from VEGETARIAN TIMES January 2009 issue.

I love to order squash soups at restaurants, but whenever I try to make it at home, they always turn out too thick and not so tasty.
THIS recipe has changed it all.
It has THE perfect consistency and it's full of flavor.
It also calls for a few simple ingredients:
-Kabocha (Japanese pumpkin, but you can use any other type of winter squash.)
-Onion
-Garlic
-Smoked Paprika
-Bay Leaf
-Vegetable Broth

The recipe also calls for Dry Sherry, but my husband doesn't care for ANY alcohol in any recipe, so I omitted it.
And it really doesn't need it.

The spiced pepitas are pumpkin shells roasted with olive oil, agave nectar, salt, and cilantro.

I paired the soup with leftover Toasted Quinoa with Raisins and Slivered Almonds from the previous day and Spicy Spinach with Minced garlic.

3 comments:

Millie said...

I am a vegan and it is nice to find good vegan blogs. My blog is:

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Hope you can stop by sometime.

trina said...

That all sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe rec!

Jen Treehugger said...

If it's good enough for Mr Tickle it's good enough for me!